Friday, 7 February 2014

The Grump

Let it be said, I'm in a grump. A grouch. A crank.

A cold that's stretched a fortnight; I'm no good with a boggled head.

I usually shake the sneezes with a little rest, a mug of hot lemon water, a dash of exercise; usually yoga, and I really thought the mucus monster nipped in the bud - energy dial up, tissue box returned to shelf - the day before Little A's birthday party. S'not.

How could I have forgotten the year before? How exhausting, how dementor sucking the preschooler soiree. This year, the sandwiches and cake were ordered; but I still fought wind and rain to the shop, in the name of perfect sandwich triangles, inch thick chocolate icing, an intermission from mummy's slapdash baking. Actually, I never bake. Two hours before kick-off, a panic, the table cloths, there were no table cloths, I'd forgotten to order them. You can't have a party without plastic sheeting. After berating the omission on the to-do list, wagging finger at jelly head, I found myself back in the car, back in the city centre, back in the budget priced oasis of Pound World.

I don't remember much of it, the party. A haze of food preparation, tea making, and scattered snowflakes. There was the magician - mad cap chequered trousers, high pitched helium voice - made for the job. There was plate spinning. The parachute. The tidying up. I hardly had chance to catch up with anyone, let alone enjoy Little A throwing herself into magic tricks, chasing her friends around the hall.


The after party; all the left overs, what was left over of me. Fat bobbing balloons, a living room of latex. Gift wrap. Catching on ankles, stuck on the floor. An aunt and uncle stayed the night. The following day, another birthday to attend. And I looked on as my health - dizzy head, aching limbs - slipped far, far away, sink holing to hell.

The morning of Little A's actual birthday, Younger Dad announced, 'we are going to the Natural History Museum.' We are? Little A had a cough, hacking like a pneumatic drill. I felt rank, a pair of mouldy old pants, eyeing up the paracetamol like a box of chocolate buttons. 'We still have to go,' Younger Dad said, 'it's Little A's birthday.' And he was right of course. Lurgy or no lurgy, we were off to see the dinosaurs. Roarrr.

It wasn't long before I wilted in the Actual History Museum (Little A's words), a bag of old bones among the other old bones. Younger Dad and I cheerfully bickered...

OM 'I'm sure there was a T-Rex in the main hall last time.'
YD 'No, it's always been a Diplodocus.'
OM 'That can't be right, there was definitely a T-Rex.'
YD 'Darling, trust me, it's been a Diplodocus. Always.'
OM 'No, I'm not so sure.'
YD 'Diplodocus, I'm telling you.'
OM 'I'm sure there was a T-Rex,'...

Ailing Mummy found herself dumped in the cafe, consoling herself with a mug of hot chocolate, popping more chocolate buttons. By the time Younger Dad and Little A had returned from insects and birds, I had begun the process of petrification, a stuffed cat, staring at a pensioner's raincoat. 'It's time to go now,' Younger Dad said. I looked up at him, 'ugh?'


Tea time, back home, Little A had a roarrring temperature, while I continued petrifying on the sofa. In our jim jams we stayed for the next twenty four hours...

I've only just made it to the other side, viral free; but I'm still in a grump. Meh.

Do you breeze through colds, or, like me, moan on your death bed?

36 comments:

  1. Oh Gosh - I'm crap with colds... proper man-flu time for me! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you haven't been well... Your descriptions made me laugh though, and I am sure it was a T-Rex too.... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling better now though... I'm still sure it was a T Rex, Younger Dad swears otherwise. X

      Delete
  3. Oh bless you, you poor thing. So sorry you've been poorly but good for you for soldiering on and making the most of the mighty occasion. Hope Little A is getting better too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm better now though... a rubbish couple of weeks. But glad I went to the museum in the end, it was worth it for Little A's birthday - and she had a great time, and is also much better now. X

      Delete
  4. I just carry on during the day and go to bed at the same time as DD when I have a cold - no choice. Feel better xxx. (Btw - Love the new blog design).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much what I do as well, there is no other way - go to bed the same time as Little A. And I am much better now thank you. Glad you like the design. X

      Delete
  5. Poor you! kids' parties are exhausting enough when you're feeling okay….quite convinced time slows down during parties!
    Often try to ignore the first signs of a cold, in a kind of hopeful mind over matter way. Not that successful... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was pretty exhausting... and actually went pretty fast... but it was a long day, and time certainly stretched from that angle. Like you, I try to ignore the first signs, with not much luck! X

      Delete
  6. I honestly do not know how you survived it all... :(
    And I would have said T-Rex too! xx
    PS: LOVE the new blog design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It defo was a T Rex :o) Glad you like the new blog design, I think its ace too! X

      Delete
  7. You are amazing - how did you manage all that feeling so rough. I love seeing your writing style develop too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.... How did I manage it? With lots of drugs :o) Glad you think my words are developing :o)

      Delete
  8. I think you're amazing too! To go through all that feeling as you did. I struggle through colds too, colds that morph into the 'cough from hell, that lasts for WEEKS.
    The birthday party is one of those special memory making ones, you will always remember it :-) Love your account of both events. And LOVE 'S'not' !! very clever, missus :-D

    xx Jazzy

    PS: Thanks for your comments on my 2 recent posts especially my 'Perfect Family' one, I totally agree with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's very kind... I hate colds, hate 'em, and I get the whole cough thing going on for weeks too; doesn't help that I have asthma. X. Ps. Re. your comments, my pleasure! :o)

      Delete
  9. Hurrah for Pound World! Little A's party sounds great - and well done you for pulling it off even if you were feeling utterly pants. I rather like the cafe at the NH museum, at least they have good cake there...

    I had the flu jab this year. Primarily for the reason that if I got the flu no-one would stay at home and look after me / make a fuss and I'd have to try and soldier on - so better to avoid it. I swear, I've had less colds though too. Hope you're feeling better now. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pound World rocks, especially for parties. Little A's party was great, main thing was that she had a great time; it was so tiring though... NH museum does have good cakes, and mighty fine hot chocolate. I think I'll go for the flu jab next year, if I can. And I am finally feeling better now. X

      Delete
  10. Oh bloody hell - kids parties are bad enough without hideous cold. I blame the weather - damp feet since October. Hope you kick it soon, spring's lurking just round the corner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so tiring aren't they? Damp feet since October; urgh! Yes, I guess spring is around the corner, but last year it didn't appear until June. I always keep lemsip in the messy drawer...

      Delete
  11. So sorry to hear you've been ill, so not fun and so not fun with a preschooler birthday and party to get through. You describe the whole birthday / party shenanigans so well. If anyone had told me pre-child that throwing a kids party is one of the most exhausting, stressful things you can ever do, I simply wouldn't have believed them. Who knew! Glad you're through the lurghy, looking forward to lots more posts from you in 2014 - and loving the new blog look xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not like being ill, especially when there is stuff to be done like a preschooler birthday party, and I felt so knackered afterwards. And I completely agree with you, I had no idea that throwing a kids party could be that stressful. Glad you like the new look. X

      Delete
  12. I love the name Actual History Museum - such a better name than the real one. Oh I'm a terrible crotchety grump with a cold. Sounds like despite it you gave Little A a fabulous birthday. keep well and warm lovely one xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it every time Little A says that.... it's not the history museum down the road but the 'actual history museum,' you know, the one in London. I'm such a grumper too. Little A had a fab birthday, and I'm wrapping up warm. X

      Delete
  13. There just seems to be one thing after another going around...when's it going to stop?! Sounds like a really lovely party though xx ps I'm a grump when I'll ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these back to back warm/cold spells sets the germs off on a viral rampage. It was a lovely party, thank you. X :o)

      Delete
  14. I berate Alpine Papa so much for his inability to handle a tiny bit of man-flu when he's ill, that I feel I have to stoically pretend all is fine when I do get a cold, like the true martyr that I am. (Doesn't always work though…!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we didn't have children, we could indulge our physical woes, with children, we have to push on through with any medication we can lay our hands on :o).

      Delete
  15. I don't even want to think about it. I,don't mind the cold if I'm snuggled up in bed. What I hate is trying to get back into my groove when I'm well again but not quite on top of it - like you I feel like I'm in a grump. Hope u return soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the bit I don't like either, trying to get back into your groove and feeling like you have a mountain of stuff to climb. Meh. I'm on the mend :o).

      Delete
  16. There's nothing worse than a boggled head, when you feel like life is just backing up behind you and you need to get on with it but can't think straight. I like your meds / chocolate button analogy. I'm the same with paracetamol and codeine...BAD!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often have a boggled head! And I really dislike the way everything backs up when you feel unwell, the added pressure of needing to get stuff done. Oooh codeine - haven't had that for a while. X

      Delete
  17. Such a shame when a birthday is spoilt by illness isn't it? Glad to hear you're on the mend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely on the mend, but had a dip today :o(. The likelihood of illness on Little A's birthday is high given it falls end of January. X

      Delete
  18. Bless you Sarah, I hope you're feeling more yourself. It's so rubbish when you feel awful isn't it. Colds are mainly annoying I find. I do get on with it but I'm whinging a lot about my back which is b*ggered! Must do that post for you lovely, just playing catch up then I'm there xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was, but then I started to feel like pants again. I do try to get on with it too, but I'm such a grumpy puss that it negates any getting on... Don't feel pressured about the post :o). X.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...