Monday 24 March 2014

#Once upon a time - Five Years.

Once upon a time .....

I turned to Younger Dad, 'we should have booked.' The cafe was full; couples, friends, children sat upon laps. A Saturday buzz lifted the intimate space. Candles on tables. Walls hidden in local frippery. The window display; a forest of wide leafed flora subduing the incoming light, now small and tip toeing. Vintage bicycles, rusted and buckled, hung from their frames, a fake canary on miniature tricycle swung from a wire; a yellow feathered trapeze. I love a bit of broken character. I totally dig the kooky. And I so wanted to eat here, in the The Bicycle Shop. But alas, it wasn't to be... an interesting ambiance often makes for a sublime menu, and in my undecided stalling - do we stay here? do we leave? - my attention was found wanting, carried from handwritten letters on a chalkboard, deposited on the thick set bloke behind the bar. Why on earth was he wearing that light blue jumper? The colour accentuated the merino curls spilling out over the v-neck, all splayed and shaggy. A dark wiry pelt. I had never seen anything like it. Ever. 'Look at that chest,' I said to my husband. 'Don't stare,' he replied, 'c'mon, let's find somewhere else to eat, we won't get a table here...'

I was so absorbed I forgot to frame the detail, the camera forsaken in my shoulder bag. We meandered around The Lanes of Norwich, taking in the sunshine; people sat at tables outsides cafes, smiling, welcoming an unusually warm spring day, the air swelling with flirtation and chit chat. Look at that spotty green bag. I want one of those notebooks... and we paused outside a wedding shop; flowing taffeta for the ladies, heavy tuxedos for the gentlemen, 'can you believe it's been five years already?' I said to Younger Dad. He held my hand that little bit tighter. In Biddy's Tearooms we sat at an old sewing machine table, surrounded by chintz and bric-a-brack; old suitcases piled in corners, a lampshade balanced on three tea cups, delicate bunting stretched across the ceiling, and we talked as a couple, about our individual aspirations, our future as a family; my pot of lapsang souchong smoky and perfect, the last crumbs of a very fine vanilla cupcake gathered in the middle of my plate, leftover particles of what seemed like a first date.


We strolled back in the late afternoon sun, blossom deepening in the retracting light, the odd fresh petal caught on the curb of the road. We stopped at an interiors shop, bought ourselves an anniversary present; a lap top table for the bedroom, made from wood, the element of this year's celebration; to write and tinker on propped up by pillows, comforted under a warm duvet. When we arrived back, the house was empty; Little A and Granny at the park. She returned half way through a film we began watching, launching herself into our arms, 'are you still staying in the hotel?' she asked, 'I'm worried something might happen to my parents.' 'Don't worry, we cancelled the hotel earlier, but Granny's still putting you to bed, okay?' 'Okay.' 'Feeling better now?' I asked. 'Feeling much better,' she replied. Maybe not this time, but the next we would stay away. One step at a time.

Pre-dinner drinks in a boutique bar; we were early for our booking, so we meandered again, around quieter streets this time. A man kept passing us by. Back and forth. Back and forth. I couldn't help but make up a story; his first wife had died a decade before, and now he was sole carer of his son and frail mother. This was his first date in a decade, he was so excited, so nervous, and yet he felt conflicted between his needs and those who depended upon him... The restaurant was an experience, billed as one of Norwich's foremost, a rare treat; desert was a pineapple sorbet with mango and coconut palm mousse, lovage jelly, spiced with mint sherbet. I had never tasted anything quite like it.

Later, light headed and contented, we cuddled up and watched the remainder of the movie on the newly acquired wooden table. Five years together as a married unit, we felt proud, all we had come through over recent years. Older Mum. Younger Dad. And we made a solemn promise, to have many many more days like this together... today had been one of the best in a long while.


Once Upon A Time


And if you like my writing, please, please, please could you vote for me in The Writer Category of the Brilliance in Blogging Awards (BIBS).


46 comments:

  1. *Heart explodes* Such a beautiful post - so glad you have such a warm and wonderful relationship. I am really rather fond of Younger Dad - he's good for you :) XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much lovely. It was a fab day! Younger Dad does his best! :o) X

      Delete
  2. And they all lived happily ever after! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of..... it was a very good day indeed!

      Delete
  3. Oh what a wonderful day - and congratulations on your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really lovely day and fab anniversary!

      Delete
  4. Ahhh wonderfully written and really lovely way to mark the day too. Happy anniversary!! We got married in 2009 too and it'll be our 5 years in July :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much.... it was a really nice day. Beginning of March it was for us :o). I seem to remember that July 2009 was a rather hot one!

      Delete
  5. You got my vote kid! This is so beautiful. Was it recent? I felt like I was there with you and when I realised I wasn't, I vowed to make sure that we spend our next anniversary day meandering the streets of a beautiful city like this. Hopefully you will one day get to stay overnight too :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much my dear! Yes, fairly recent - it was the beginning of March, the 7th to be exact. It was a very nice way to spend the day, and lucky the weather was so nice... hopefully overnight one day :o). X

      Delete
  6. So very lovely! Important to find the time to be just two, once in a while. I'm saying that knowing we're the world's worst at it! Need to try harder. My heart leapt a little at the mention of Norwich - my sister recently moved there from London and think she's feeling a bit lost at the moment. Sadly too far away for me to be much help.
    I've so enjoyed Seasons of Motherhood by the way, such a little gem xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much.... I know, I think we'd completely forgotten. Has your sister managed to find her feet in Norwich yet? It does seem to be a very nice place to be. So glad you've enjoyed my little book. X

      Delete
  7. Oh wow what a wonderful post, beautifully written as always. It sounds like you had a fabulous day, happy anniversary my lovely. Thank you too for your wonderful comments, they always make me smile. I'm just catching up, the few weeks have been bonkers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much.... we had a lovely anniversary day. My pleasure with the comments.... hope things have calmed down for you now! X

      Delete
  8. Beautifully written.

    Congratulations on your anniversary. Here's to many more.

    Cheers. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post. Congratulations on five years. And yes, I will be voting for you in the Bibs. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much.... feels a lot longer than five years! And thank you - that's so kind lovely lady. X

      Delete
  10. So very beautiful, it was as though we were there with you (although I expect you're glad we weren't!). Here's to the next five years and good luck with the BiBs - you would be a worthy finalist/winner honey xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much... I did see you tagging along behind ;o). Yes indeedy - here's to the next five years, and thank you for your good luck! X

      Delete
  11. I absolutely loved this. So romantic. Congratulations on five years. And for sampling lovage jelly. Of course I will be voting for you in the BIBs. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Five years already... seems like a long time. And thank you - you are most kind! X

      Delete
  12. Do you know, you thaw my somewhat cold heart with your writing. I'm often too practical and skip past momentous occasions but you remind me to stop a while and savour things. Congrats on the anniversary, my lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service lovely :o) But to be honest, I'm not the world's finest romantic - I'm really rather practical myself. It's Younger Dad who's the romantic one. Thank you very much! X

      Delete
  13. I often feel the need to clear some time and settle down with a nice cup of tea to read your blog posts, completely at my leisure! It's like wanting to read another excerpt from a book that I'm thoroughly absorbed in. Fabulous post. And a very happy anniversary to you both.
    Note: the overnights will come, trust me ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so kind of you - glad I'm like a good book :o). And thank you very much - we had a really lovely time.... just like old times; and we need plenty more of those. It will be great when we will be able to stay away :o). X

      Delete
  14. What a gorgeous post! The details are imparted perfectly. Sounds as though you spent the day precisely in each moment. Best of luck with the BiBs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much.... and it was a very 'in the moment day' - would like to repeat it over and over. And thank you!

      Delete
  15. That is a truly lovely post. Happy Anniversary to the pair of you S! :) PS. You already have my vote! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much - we had a great time, and made even better by some lovely spring weather. And ps. thank you! X

      Delete
  16. Beautiful! Younger Dad is a lucky dude to have such lovely things to read in his old age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Ha! His 'old age' indeed!

      Delete
  17. So beautifully written! And it sounds like a wonderful day. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much - It really was a wonderful day!

      Delete
  18. Always love reading your posts Sarah, many times over. They're still brilliant because your writing is and you write so beautifully. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment - you must be getting a BiB nomination or two. I can feel it, I can x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much.... I really enjoyed writing this post as we had such a lovely time. No worries regarding my comment - you deserve it! Fingers crossed for the BiBs but I'm not holding my breath! X

      Delete
  19. Such a beautifully written post, you get my vote...you write in such a beautiful way. Here's to many more anniversaries together xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, and thank you lovely.... and I hope we have many more too! X

      Delete
  20. Makes me go all warm and fuzzy reading this Older Mum. Congratulations. What a lovely post about your anniversary, and bloody good on you - happy families make happy societies. Big hugs to you all xxx (and show us some pics from the bicycle cafe).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it had such a nice effect... it was a very warm and fuzzy day. We really had a lovely time - even Little A had a brilliant time - she was spoiled rotten. Thank you... and next time, I'll get some shots of the bicycle cafe. X

      Delete
  21. What a beautiful telling of an amazing journey. X

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations. Wow, if your day was even half as lovely as you make it sound, you two will have many more happy times to come. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I hope we have many more fab years to come! X

      Delete
  23. What a lovely post, Sarah. You can feel the closeness in it.
    Happy anniversary to you and Younger Dad. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! We had a lovely time - it really was a fab day to remember. X

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...